- Core Audience Services. Core Audience enables its clients, including advertisers and publishers, to leverage the proprietary audience of the digital properties of Hearst Communications, Inc. with scalable 3rd party data to reach the most receptive consumers. Core Audience’s services (“Services”) include: media planning, buying and selling; campaign analytics and research and audience segmentation and data management. Our clients use our Services in order to show online users the most useful and relevant ads across platforms and devices. This policy describes how our Services operate on behalf of our clients. Section 14 of this policy describes how we collect information from clients and potential clients on our corporate website.
- Information Collected through Our Services.
- When you view and interact with advertisements operated by our clients (and, in some cases, by our clients’ clients), our Services may collect information regarding your browsing, usage and interactions. We may also collect information that allows us to identify browsers we have interacted with previously. Such information collected by our Services may include the type of Internet browser and computer operating system you use, your computer’s Internet protocol (“IP” address), the URLs of the websites you visited before and after viewing an advertisement, and information related to websites and pages you are viewing.
- Some of the ads we serve may set and access cookies and similar technologies on your computer as well. We do not control how those third parties use such cookies and technologies or the information derived therefrom.
- Use of Information Collected through Our Services.
- We use the information collected through our Services to customize the sort of advertisements you see so that we can deliver ad content that is relevant to your interests. For example, if we think that a user is interested in fashion and beauty, then our Services may help our clients deliver interest-based online advertisements to you about a particular type of beauty product. We also may use such information to limit the number of times you see a particular ad, and for other purposes such as research, reporting and analysis.
- We may also seek to deliver these ads to you across different devices (i.e.; desktop, mobile or tablet).
- In order to help us ascertain your interests, we may also receive from other companies information collected outside the Services for use in connection with the Services on behalf of clients. We do not associate such information with your name, mailing address, email address or similar personally identifiable information.
- Disclosure of Information to Third Parties.
We may disclose the information we collect about you (see “Information Collected through Our Services” above), and information derived from it, to:
- User Choice.
- The information we collect about your interests and web browsing history is maintained by one of our service vendors, Lotame Solutions, Inc. If you wish us to cease use of the data, you may visit networkadvertising.org/choices and opt out of placements by Lotame. You can also visit lotame.com/opt-out-preference-manager/ to find out more about your choices. An opt-out will be effective across all the devices that have been associated with your profile; however, if Lotame has not been able to link your devices (for instance, it has not associated your mobile ID number with your desktop browser) you may still get targeted ads on other devices unless you effect an opt-out request from each one.
- To opt-out of having information about you collected by our advertisers, you may click on the triangle shaped icon that appears in the ad, which will direct you to a site where you may make opt-out choices.
- Alternatively, you may adjust your browser settings to refuse or remove cookies, which would result in the elimination of interest-based advertising via cookies from other providers in addition to Core Audience. You will, however, still receive advertisements, but they won’t be tailored to your interests.Also, by doing so, you may not be able to use certain features on the websites you visit or take full advantage of all website offerings and interest-based advertising. You may refuse or remove cookies by following the directions provided in your browser setting.
- Children’s Privacy. We are sensitive to the issue of children’s privacy. Our Services are neither developed for, nor directed at, children or at websites primarily directed to children. If you believe a child has provided us with personal information and you would like to have the information removed, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Information Security. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect against the unauthorized access to, retention of, and disclosure of data. This includes undertaking necessary physical, electronic, and management activities required to protect data integrity, access, and use. Any data that is stored on our servers is treated as confidential information. Please be aware, however, that despite these reasonable efforts to protect data on our servers, no method of transmission over the Internet is guaranteed to be secure. Therefore, while we strive to protect your data all times, we cannot guarantee its absolute security and shall not be liable for any breach of security by an outside party.
- International Users.
If you are located outside of the United States, please note that the information we collect about you will be transferred to and processed in the United States, where laws regarding processing of information may be less stringent than the laws in your country. By using the sites where our services operate, you consent to this transfer and processing. You also consent to the adjudication of certain disputes arising in connection with our Services in the federal and state courts of, and in accordance with the laws of, the state of New York.
- Location Information. We may, and may enable our advertisers to, access your physical location via certain services provided through digital applications, wireless access protocol services (“WAP Services”) or mobile phone service (“Mobile Services”). You can control the access to your location information through the setting functions on your device.
- Tracking Requests. Core Audience’s advertisers may, in some cases, honor Do Not Track requests from your browser. For more information click here.
- Effect of Tracking Requests. Core Audience does not determine whether its advertisers will honor Do Not Track requests.
- California & Canadian Users.
- Your California Privacy Rights. California’s “Shine the Light” law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers asking about the businesses’ practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Canadian residents also have certain rights to know how their information may be shared with third parties who engage in direct marketing activities. Because we do not collect information that would allow us to identify you personally (such as name and address) we do not have any such information to disclose.
- Dispute Resolution. PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY. IT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS.
- Except for either party’s claims of infringement or misappropriation of the other party’s patent, copyright, trademark, or trade secret, any and all disputes between you and Core Audience arising under or related in any way to this Agreement, must be resolved through binding arbitration as described in this section. This agreement to arbitrate is intended to be interpreted broadly. It includes, but is not limited to, all claims and disputes relating to your use of any of the Covered Sites.
- YOU AGREE THAT BY ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AND CORE AUDIENCEARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. YOU AND CORE AUDIENCEAGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. ANY ARBITRATION WILL TAKE PLACE ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS; CLASS ARBITRATIONS AND CLASS ACTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED.
- The arbitration will be governed by the Commercial Arbitration Rules and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), as modified by this section. For any claim where the total amount of the award sought is $10,000 or less, the AAA, you and Core Audience must abide by the following rules: (a) the arbitration shall be conducted solely based on written submissions; and (b) the arbitration shall not involve any personal appearance by the parties or witnesses unless otherwise mutually agreed by the parties. If the claim exceeds $10,000, the right to a hearing will be determined by the AAA rules, and the hearing (if any) must take place in your choice of the following locations: San Francisco, CA, Denver, CO, or New York, NY. The arbitrator’s ruling is binding and may be entered as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction. In the event this agreement to arbitrate is held unenforceable by a court, then the disputes that would otherwise have been arbitrated shall be exclusively brought in the state or federal courts located in New York City, New York. Claims of infringement or misappropriation of the other party’s patent, copyright, trademark, or trade secret shall be exclusively brought in the state and federal courts located in New York City, New York.
- This Agreement shall be governed by and construed solely and exclusively in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, USA without giving effect to any law that would result in the application of the law of another jurisdiction.
- Use of Our Corporate Website.
- Information collected on our corporate website may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates, subsidiaries, agents or customers maintain facilities. You acknowledge and agree that personally identifiable information you provide to us may be transferred outside of the country in which you reside. Providing such information will constitute your consent to any such transfer.
Last Update: August 28, 2015